What is Ozone Therapy?
- Ozone is simply a tri-atomic oxygen particle and is perfectly safe when used properly.
- Ozone is created by passing medical-grade pure oxygen through a corona discharge generator, creating pure O3 or ozone. Once ozone is created, it can be used in a liquid form (via ozonated water) or gas form. When ozone gas is filtered through pure olive oil, it forms a thick clear ointment (ozonated olive oil).
- Although ozone levels in the atmosphere are used to measure pollution levels, the ozone itself is not a hazard. Ozone in the atmosphere starts as O3, but quickly binds with atmospheric pollutants. Because of this tendency to bind with pollutants, ozone levels are measured to determine pollution levels. This is the job of ozone, to be nature’s filter of “bad” particles.
- Ozone is negatively charged and by nature looks to neutralize anything with a positive charge. “Bad” cells – bacteria, viruses, cancer cells or free radicals, etc. – in our body typically carry positive charges on their cell membranes. “Good” cells will typically have anti-oxidants on their cell membranes and will deter surface oxygenation. Negatively charged cells will attract the ozone particle looking to neutralize its charge and the ozone will perforate the cell membrane and destroy it, thus destroying the “bad” cell.
How is Ozone Therapy used in dentistry?
- Safe alternative to fluoride: Fluoride is used in conventional dentistry to remineralize
softened enamel. Because ozone hardens enamel, it is a safe alternative to fluoride and can be done at regular cleanings and checkups in lieu of fluoride. Dr. Gross recommends his patients have ozone treatment at every checkup as part of routine dental care.
- Periodontal disease:Ozone can be used to help treat periodontal disease by using ozonated water flushed below the gum line into the gums and supporting tissues. Ozone is an important tool used by our Holistic Periodontist to treat and prevent periodontal disease.
- Root canals:Ozonated water can be used during root canal treatment to kill bacteria, sterilize the canal system and to stimulate faster healing. Ozonated water can permeate the tiny tubules that cannot otherwise be accessed, thereby getting a truly sterile, bacteria-free root canal system before sealing the canals.
- Decay:Ozone can be used to kill decay-causing bacteria. Since ozone is a liquid, it can permeate into areas below the gum line, into the grooves of teeth and over the smooth surfaces of the teeth and will kill bacteria on contact. If the decayed area, or cavity, is not too deep, then no restoration may be needed at all and may be treated with ozonated olive oil. If the area of decay is deeply cavitated and the bacteria is killed, then a filling can be placed often times with no need for numbing. Because ozone acts to recalcify tooth structure, areas of the tooth that have been treated with ozone are stronger than what was there before.
- Sensitivity:Because ozone can harden compromised tooth structure, flooding a sensitive area or tooth with ozonated water or olive oil can effectively eliminate sensitivity. We have successfully eliminated many patients’ sensitivity issues with ozone therapy.
- Safety:Ozone does not have any contraindications with other medications; therefore cross-reactions are not a concern at all. You cannot be allergic to ozone, because you cannot be allergic to oxygen.